Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Tales From the T

Mr. Robo-Voice Made My Day

Last Friday I took the T from Kendall one stop over to Central to meet up over at my favorite watering hole - The People's Republik. Unfortunately, when I arrived at Kendall, I had a feeling that this could be a long ride - there were already tons of people waiting on the platform. There were no robo-voice delay announcements, so I figured it was a typical slow train.

After waiting for about 15 minutes and watching 3 trains go by in the other direction, I finally heard Mr. Robo-Voice begin to announce "Attention Passengers: The... next red line train to Alewife..." So, I eagerly stood up and squeezed toward the platform edge.

But then, Mr. Robo-Voice didn't complete his sentence with his usual "...is now arriving." Instead, he actually said something rather astonishing - "...will not stop. Please stand behind the yellow line." I was shocked! Mr. All-Knowing-Robo-Voice actually knew the next train was expressed to Harvard and wouldn't stop at Kendall. Sure enough, the next train was jam-packed and meandered through the station without stopping. And, to my delight, the operator didn't blare his horn once on his trip through the station!

All my disgust for the T delaying my trip to the bar vanished. Thanks Mr. Robo-Voice - you made my day. I've never been so pleased to be delayed be the T.

No comments: