Monday, March 19, 2007

Old Local TV Commercials

In my previous post, I ended up searching for "Dean's Home Furniture" to see if I could find some sort of link to the furniture chain's old TV commercials or tag line. Lo-and-behold, they don't exist anymore, and my quick search turned up almost nothing.

So, in my infinite wisdom, I scoured the web for some old TV commercials from my homeland, back in flyover country. All I can say is that I struck GOLD!

The jingle for this first commercial has been implanted in my brain since I first started watching cartoons on TV. To make things better, one of the funniest local TV hosts appears.

I'm pretty sure there's not many people that read this part-time blog of mine, but I will personally buy a beer for the first person who can name the comedian in this commercial. (I'll take his real name, or the name of the TV show he hosted. 2 Beers if you can get both).

Who says local commercials are crap?



Does anyone remember this?

P.S.
If you recognize that commercial, you'll probably remember this one, this one, this one, and this one too.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Ok, I have no idea who that comedian is, though I will say that he sort of looks like Adam Horovitz. However, I recently discovered that Horovitz married Kathleen Hanna, which is why he's been on my brain somewhat.

That aside, I have to say that this commercial is way better than the stink bombs that they've been playing in the last couple of years. If you watch NESN with any degree of frequency, the jingle + the little animated guy laying the carpet down gets shoved in your brain. It dukes it out with Giant Glass. Or maybe that's just with me.

Kim said...

I also love how in the really old commercials, there's no area code.

Trashcan VonOpenMeup said...

Yup. There's no area code - should make it a little tougher to figure out where its from :-)

This particular commercial is from 1986. I have fond memories of it.

Kim said...

It's got to be Illinois!

Ok, I cheated. I went to their website. Here I was naively thinking that this was a local company. The commercials are local-looking. That must be the marketing strategy.

Trashcan VonOpenMeup said...

Bingo! It is from Illinois. Its a commercial for Empire Carpet (now called Empire Today). They used to be a local Chicago carpet company, and now they've gone national. So you may catch an advert for them on local Boston TV - with the same jingle.

02145- You've got a great blog, and a damn cool lamp shade.

Anonymous said...

The comedian is Rich Koz the show is Svengoolie...

Unknown said...

So do I get my beer or what!

Trashcan VonOpenMeup said...

Wow - John hit the nail on the head. Its Rich Koz (a local Chicago tv guy) and his first character in the commercial is Svengoolie.

I guess I owe you 2 beers, John. If you're ever in Berwyn, err, I mean, Boston - they're on me!