Thursday, March 8, 2007

Tales From the T - Porter Maintenance Spree

This morning, Thursday, it seemed as if the MBTA was on some sort of "surge" of its own - a maintenance spree at Porter Station. There were about 5 trucks parked all around the sidewalk and there were about 10-15 people working on random things. In my disbelief, I saw:
  • 2 escalators actively being repaired
  • 4 fare gates actively being cleaned and repaired
  • Installation of a new 360 degree security camera
On my return home tonight, the middle escalator was still turned off, but ALL the faregates were working and there is a new Vegas-style security camera overlooking the entire mezzanine.

One question remains: will the camera actually be connected to anything? Or, in classic MBTA style, will it be purely for show?

I'll admit it - I'm convinced they're actually going to use it and monitor it. In the past few weeks, thanks to the security cameras, we've discovered a former T employee cashing in tokens for CharlieTickets and we've had suspects in the Back Bay Station stabbings apprehended.

Wow. That's 2 recent posts from me praising the T. I feel great!

No comments: