Sunday, January 4, 2009

Quit: Day 0

So, tomorrow I'm officially going to try to quit the smokes, again. I picked up some Nicorette gum today, which is what I used last time I tried to quit the habit. Those little pieces of gum seemed to work pretty well. My problem, was that I was not committed, nor did I actually try that hard.

This time, I *think* I'm more committed to stopping, and I think I have a better plan to actually quit. For me, its mostly psychological - most of the time when I want a lung snack, its because I'm bored, or I just need to escape the current situation. I never really feel like I *need* one, but I always enjoy the break from the current situation.

The other reason I failed is that I don't have any sort of peer support. I'm a very independent guy (sometimes too independent) so I prefer to do things on my own, and accomplish tasks independently. I'm horrible at asking for help - its just one of those general personality traits that I can't get rid of.

So, what this really means is that I'd like to quit the smokes on my own - but a little help on the side may actually be appreciated. I haven't told anyone I'm quitting - I just decided the other day that now is the time. I'm just going to give it a shot.

My plan is to use my blog and my Twitter account to document my day, my cravings, my accomplishments, and my failures. So, if all goes according to plan [fingers crossed] I'll be blogging and tweeting my day. I'm thinking that I'll be able to use my Twitter account to bitch and moan to the world about my cravings, or, hopefully, lack of cravings.

If you'd like to follow along, feel free to drop a comment here, or check out My Twitter Feed. (Man, I can't believe I'm actually doing this - its nuts!!!)

Can I do it alone? Or do I need encouragement? I don't know - its all uncharted territory for me. Let's just dive in and see how it all goes!

No comments: