Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I'll take my desk job

I've been sitting at my desk for the past few weeks watching the construction folks erect the steel for a new building over here in Kendall next to the Genzyme building. About 3 weeks ago, there was a big hole in the ground. Now, there's already 2 stories of steel popping up from the foundation. It amazes me how quickly these guys can throw up a building.

There's another bit, though, that I find amazing, and also somewhat frightening. There's a huge 10 story crane lifting up a bunch of steel beams and effortlessly swinging them through the air. I watch these beams dangle and blow in the wind right outside my window. Due to the frame of the building, the crane operator can't see the beams flying around when he pivots the arm. I keep thinking that the beams are going to somehow come flying through my window here and take out this entire side of the building! I don't know how the guy can operate the crane so smoothly and perfectly without even seeing where he's dropping his steel I-beams.

It also amazes me that one rickety looking cable can hold this entire load swinging through the wind without breaking!

Once he's finally got the beams lowered in position, a bunch of ironworkers grab them, pull them down, and unhook them from the crane's line. These thousand pound beams are swinging through the air and these guys just grab them, and pull them down like they're twigs. I am so incredibly impressed. Then, these same workers will walk out on the beams, 2 stories in the air, and sit down to weld and bolt them together. Amazing.

I really can't believe the job these construction guys do. Erecting a steel frame is incredibly dangerous, but these guys fearlessly and effortlessly do it every day. Amazing.

So, ya know what, I'll just stick to my desk job.

No comments: