Monday, November 3, 2008

I Hate Politics

Honestly, I really hate politics, politicians, political ads, and just about anything into which you can put the word political.

I hate the news coverage of elections. Reporters spew nothing but talking points, half-truths, and flat-out lies. Are journalists so lazy that they can't even do the slightest bit of research before writing an article? Are reporters and newspaper editors so incompetent that they can't even spend 5 minutes with google to do a cursory search before printing a story? Its no wonder that newspapers are losing circulation - they seem to have lost the ability to actually print any article worth reading. Sometimes I think my junior high newspaper had more substantive reporting than most big city dailies.

I hate the fact that political campaigns have turned into nothing but character assassination and tabloid-type personal destruction stories. There's no more honest debate on the issues. I honestly don't care if so-and-so politician smoked some pot, had sex with a hooker, or lost a few thousand bucks betting that the Pittsburgh Pirates would win the World Series. (Well, maybe I'd care if he bet on the Pirates - that's just pure stupidity)

Ya know, I could rant even more -- there is no end to my utter disgust for politics. Ultimately, its such a shame that Americans are always stuck voting for the "least worst" politician for office. All the good, smart people stay away from politics -- they're the folks who actually make this country run. Instead, we're stuck voting for slimy, power-hungry, self-centered shitheads.

I'm a selfish American. My vote always goes to the candidate who will cause the least damage. I'll vote for whoever will fuck up my life the least. And that's why I hate politics. As a wise man once said: "Fuck it. I'm throwing it downfield".

No comments: