Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Just A Few Inspiring Quotes

Instead of sitting here complaining, bitching, and simply feeling disgusted with the state of American politics and government, I'm going to share a few of my favorite quotations of all time.

One of my favorite quotable characters is Ralph Waldo Emerson. Its incredibly difficult for me to pick my favorites, since so many of his quotations ring true.
But genius is the power to labor better and more availably. Deserve thy genius: exalt it.
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons.
Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.
And yeah, I gotta throw a few Regan quotes in here.
Government always finds a need for whatever money it gets.
The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would steal them away.
There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
I'll save the best for last - Thomas Jefferson
History, in general, only informs us of what bad government is.
Be polite to all, but intimate with few.
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
I am mortified to be told that, in the United States of America, the sale of a book can become a subject of inquiry, and of criminal inquiry too.
I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it.
And most importantly:
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Amazing. All of those quotations still hold true today - nearly 200 years later. There are so many more quotations that inspire me, however, I'm tired of writing this post. Also, the beer is starting to kick in. :-)

Cheers Everyone!

No comments: